This is a map of the People’s Republic of China. Each region is determined according to its dominant language or dialect.
According to Day Translations, there are just over 300 languages spoken in the country. These are divided into a number of main language groups, which in turn have many different dialects each.
Among the main language groups, Mandarin is the most widely spoken. Also known as Putonghua, meaning common language or speech, it has over 900 million speakers around the country, notes Babbel. Not only is it the most spoken in China, but it is also the most spoken language in the world, with a total of 1.1 billion people using it globally.
Babbel lists the other major language groups in China:
Refer to these books to know more about the Chinese language:
- Classical Chinese for Everyone: A Guide for Absolute Beginners (English and Chinese Edition)
- Learn Mandarin Chinese with Paul Noble for Beginners – Complete Course: Mandarin Chinese Made Easy with Your Personal Language Coach
- Chinese Short Stories For Beginners: 20 Captivating Short Stories to Learn Chinese & Grow Your Vocabulary the Fun Way! (Easy Chinese Stories)
- Complete Cantonese Beginner to Intermediate Course: Learn to read, write, speak and understand a new language (Teach Yourself Complete)
- A History of the Chinese Language
Help us out by sharing this map: